This recipe is the perfect side dish if you're making chinese food. Aubergine is a great vegetable as it soaks up flavour. In this instance, the coating allows it to become really caramelised and tangy.
2 tbsp miso paste
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 tsp tamari or dark soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp hot water
1 clove of garlic
1/4 red chilli
1. Cut your aurbergine in half and then slash it to make diamond shapes. This will help the paste soak into the aubergine later on.
2. Slather the aubergine sides in oil then put the aubergine in the oven at 180 degrees for 25 minutes.
3. To make the paste, finely chop your chilli and garlic and put that and your miso paste, tamarind paste, hoison sauce, tamari, agave nectar and hot water into a small pan. Put the pan on a low heat untill the sauce is cohesive and slightly thicker then before.
4. Take your aubergine out of the oven and slather them in the sauce, making sure to get it into the sides.
5. Put your aubergine back in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tops have caramelised. Leave for a couple of minutes, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and serve it up.